Sunday, July 28, 2013

Reflection on my tour in Germany

This is my third tour as a Overseas Military Services Coordinator and I have to say Germany is a really busy sight!  I absolutely loved Okinawa, I was busy there, but not too bad.  I worked with some really wonderful people In Okinawa.  United Kingdom was good, I got a do a lot of traveling all over England with my job which was really nice.  On weekend, I traveled to Rome, Dublin, Amsterdam, Scotland, Wales, and Belgium.  Germany is a different story!  I am traveling a lot during the work week with briefings all over the country and in Belgium and the Netherlands!  Not to mention when I travel, I maybe gone a week at a time and have briefings, four of those five days.  Also, the Army schedules TAP briefing (4 hours) and DTAP briefing (2 hours).  That makes for a long day.  But, just like every country and every base that I have visited, I have met some wonderful people.   Germany is certainly no exception.  The service members here in Germany have been so nice!  With all the briefings that we are doing weekly, I can certainly see that the military is downsizing.

I have been so fortunate in my VA career to travel all around the United States, Okinawa, United Kingdom and Germany.  I am thankful for every moment that I have gotten to experience something new and exciting.  I never dreamed when I started working for the VA Medical Center on April 4, 1980, that I would have such a fulfilling career.  I am so proud to be able to say that I have helped a lot of service members, veterans and their spouses and children.  My motto when I first started with the VA is still the same after 33 years, I want to treat veterans, service members and their families the way that I wanted my Dad to be treated!  Daddy alway thought I could get anything done when it came to the VA.  Fortunately, Daddy was like me and believed that you should treat people the way that you want to be treated, so he always got really good service at the VA.  Did I have anything to do with that?  He thought so,  and maybe I did, but it sure made me feel special him thinking that I could do it all!

My career of helping veterans is certainly my way of saying THANK YOU, for your service and for all that you have done for our country.  And thank you to the spouses, children and parents that have supported our service members and veterans!

No comments:

Post a Comment