Thursday, August 29, 2013

What have I been doing?

I know that is the question you all have been asking.....I have been so busy, working every day serving our active duty Service Members, with a few Veterans thrown in here and there.  When I have not been at work, you guessed it I have been running my legs of seeing as much of Europe that I possibly can!

I can't even remember the last time that I posted, but I have received several e-mails from many of you asking what the heck I have been doing!  LOL.  Believe me, I am making good use of your tax dollars!  There are several weeks that I leave on Monday morning and don't get home until 7 or 8 p.m. Friday night.  With a six hour briefing then travel to the next base sometime 1 - 2 hours away, to get up and do it all over again the next day.  But believe me, I am not complaining, because I don't let that work get in the way of me getting on a bus at 11:00 p.m. Friday night and heading to Prague in the Czech Republic for the weekend!  I figure that I can rest when I get home!  Good thing I planned a week off after I arrive back in Little Rock!  I know, pictures to come!

It is very different here from my tour in the United Kingdom and Okinawa.  When I was in the UK, my office had wireless internet, so I was able to get on my computer when I didn't have customers and I didn't have near the amount of traveling and briefings there as I do here!  At Okinawa and UK both, I lived on base, so I really had excellent internet in my room.  Here I am living in an apartment in Siegelbach, which is a small village in Kaiserslautern.  The internet is HORRIBLE!  It is very slow and tends to go off and on!  Interestingly enough, I have talked to several people that live here and they have told me the same thing, the internet in Germany is just not that good!  Basically, when I want to use the internet for any length of time, I come to the internet cafe at Ramstein AFB!  At the Army base, I do not have internet in the office, at the AFB, I use a conference room that does have wireless internet, so I can get on when I am there, but believe it or not, I am busy doing work stuff!  It is unusual to be in the office more than two days per week, sometimes not even one day a week, depending on who is traveling that week.  Ann, my coworker and I try to split the travel so that we are both on the road a equal amount of time.  But, we have found our favorite bases that we each like to go to, so we are flexible and divide the schedule so that we are both happy.  I really enjoy going to the North East part of Germany, toward Ansbach, Schweinfurt and Vilseck.  I especially love going to Bamburg, it is absolutely beautiful.  The firs time I went there I stayed on base, so I really didn't see much of the town.  This time, there were no room available at the on base lodging, so I was forced to stay downtown.  It was absolutely beautiful, I can't wait for you all to see the photos!  Well, I am going to close for now, I am going to upload some photos so you can see the wonderful things that I have been experiencing!


No comments:

Post a Comment